If you’re considering getting a Maine Coon for your next pet cat, it is important to first consider the breeders you will be purchasing from. Finding a good breeder can make all the difference in ensuring that you get a healthy, happy cat that matches your needs and wants for your new pet.
How do I find a reputable Maine Coon breeder?
The process starts by looking at local breeders in your area or checking out online resources like Cat Fancier’s Association (CFA). Once you’ve narrowed down some potential options, it is time to start asking questions.
Ask for references and do your research: A good Maine Coon breeder will have nothing but glowing things to say about their own cats and kittens, so you’ll need to look at other sources for reviews. Sites like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are often used by people who have recently acquired Maine Coons and want to share their experiences with others in the community. Posting on these platforms will also help you learn more about what your new cat needs.
When it comes to Maine Coon breeders, there are a few things that you should take into consideration. The first thing you should consider is the breeder’s experience. You want to be sure that they have been breeding cats for a long time and know what they are doing. The next thing you want to consider is how much the cats cost, but don’t neglect quality just because of a low price. You also want to be sure that the breeder has a good reputation in the cat world and that they have won some awards for their work with Maine Coons in particular.
What should I ask a Maine Coon breeder?
The questions you ask to Maine Coon breeders depend on what type of information you are looking for. Are you looking for a specific cat or kitten? You should ask about their personality, its habits, its health, and its lineage. There are some common questions you should ask before adopting one.
- What are they breeding?
- Do you have any kittens available?
- How much do they cost?
- How much does it cost for me to feed my kitten each day?
- What features do they have?
- Are they social with kids and other pets?
- What do Maine Coons need for diet?
- What type of food does he or she eat?
- How often should I feed him or her?
- What type of litter box does he or she use?
- How often should I change his/her litter box?
- What kind of health tests do they perform on their cats?
- Do they follow any breed standards?
- Where did they get their genetics from?
- Do you spay or neuter your Maine Coons?
- What’s the average cost of spaying or neutering a cat?
- At what age does it typically happen?
- How will scheduling work if I want to board them?
- Do they have anything else that I should know about Maine Coons before getting one?